And you are curious as to what resources are out there for you to get video on your website?
There are many options to get video on your website. Now let’s look at the different options and their pros and cons. In this post we are not going to discuss how to create, edit or record video. For the purpose of this post we are going to assume that you have video and it’s on your computer.
Youtube: Everyone knows about Youtube. If you don’t know about Youtube – I have no clue how you ever found this blog..
Here’s what you have to do to get your video on Youtube:
- Sign up for an account www.youtube.com
- Follow the instructions to upload your video
- Now view the video ( click your name on top right hand corner)
- Select the video
- Now that the video is playing look for the embed field.
- Select the text in that field and copy and paste it into the code of your website where you want the video to appear.
The pros to Youtube are:
- Huge Group of viewers available on site
- Easy to upload
- Easy to embed
The cons to Youtube are:
- The quality of video is poor compared to its competitors
And here is a sample of our sample video from Youtube:
- Sign up for an account or if you have a Google account sign in using it http://video.google.com/
- Click the upload video button on the homepage
- Fill out the upload form – Don’t close the window
- Google will usually email you when it has been uploaded
- Next you will need wait for it to process, you can view the status on your “Uploaded Videos” page
- On processed you will be able to view your video
- As well as be able to embed or share the video
Some of the pros of Google Video are:
- Can upload large files
- Can choose different dimensions for the video
- Easy to upload & share
- Have multiple options
- Only a small Google logo on the player
I don’t can’t think of any cons to Google video expect for the fact it does actually compress your video which actually degrades the quality but from my experience the quality of Google Video is actually better then most of the others.
Next week I am going to finish up this post. And I will then evaluate a couple of more options for getting video on your website.